Five Ways to Build Self Esteem
By Barry Austin –
If you have low self-esteem, you will often find you also have low self-confidence. By increasing one of them will often cause an increase in the other.
It is not necessary to make major changes in your quest for higher self-esteem. Success will come sooner if you just change the smaller things in your life.
Fighting and winning small battles will bring total victory over your lack of self-confidence sooner than trying to win the war in one decisive blow.
The following points in this article will examine the minor life changes that can be made that will eventually boost your self-esteem to heights you at once thought impossible.
1. The first step to take is the one that removes you from your comfort zone. Do not hang back at meetings, but move to the front where you can be seen. Make an effort to be at the centre of things at parties. Suffering from low self-esteem, this will seem like an impossible task, but believe me, once it has been done, it will come as second nature to you. The fear of being noticed is an irrational one: and overcoming that fear will be the bedrock of building up your self-esteem.
2. “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is a book you must read. A self-made millionaire, Dale Carnegie outlines numerous ways you can gain popularity easily.
3. To make sure you appear self-confident at all times: dress well. We now live in more casual and less formal times, but it is still important that the clothes your wear are of good quality, always well-kept and clean. When wearing leather shoes, make sure they are well polished. Do not scrimp on the cost: Buy one high quality item rather than one or two less expensive ones. Wear these daily, so you are always exuding that air of self-confidence.
4. Get into shape. Pick the best way to suit you, be it exercise, a sensible well balanced diet, or yoga. Make sure your physical appearance is making you feel good about yourself. A good physique will make give you an air of self-confidence in yourself that will shine out to others.
5. Find your hidden skill. Everybody is good at some thing: no matter how insignificant you think it is. You may be a good painter and decorator with a special technique that stops paint running down doors and panels. You may be good at assembling flat pack furniture or a dab hand at mending punctures on bicycles. Whatever your skill is tell people about it. By knowing something that others do not, is a good way to feel good about yourself.
It is important that you realise that the effort you put in to raising your self-esteem and self-confidence is worthwhile. The benefits that come with your new found self-confidence and high self-esteem will enable you to face the world with a positive attitude that will reflect in the way others see you.
To begin every journey, you have to take one small first step. But it is this initial step that you may find the hardest to take. However you will find the journey much easier once it has been taken: and a new world will open for you sooner than you think.
Low self-esteem can ruin peoples lives, but it can be overcome. Visit http://www.raiseurselfesteem.com